DFS Group Sets a Green Benchmark for Hong Kong Retail
JANUARY 29,2013 - This LEED Certification illustrates DFS’s dedication to energy efficiency and efforts to minimize environmental impact. T Galleria is both the first retail tenant of Hysan Place and the first store in Hong Kong to attain LEED for Commercial Interiors Certification from the US Green Building Council. It also is DFS’s first Galleria worldwide to collaborate with over 30 brands in achieving this LEED Gold status. T Galleria offers both shoppers and associates a safer and healthier environment, verified by the Indoor Environmental Quality (IEQ).
“T Galleria is Hong Kong's first LEED Gold certified retail store, an achievement which we are enormously proud of,” said Benjamin Vuchot, Regional President, Asia North of DFS Group. “As a leader in the luxury travel retail sector, we at DFS Group are constantly seeking ways of advancing our business, and being able to demonstrate that sustainable practices can be built into a very high quality retail development such as at T Galleria Hysan Place and which will undoubtedly have an impact on the broader retail industry here in the city.”
Collaboration with Brand Partners
In attaining this LEED Certification, DFS initiated a novel and comprehensive collaboration with over 30 luxury brands, and worked with local suppliers to achieve impressive results with T Galleria, despite the demanding time constraints of the imminent store opening.
“We have partnered with a number of truly exceptional brands and worked together to incorporate green initiatives during the development of T Galleria Hysan Place, supported by the ideal infrastructure of Hysan Place itself,” said Kevin Tranbarger, Head of Global Development of DFS. “This collaboration has demonstrated that businesses can combine
sustainable actions with commercial incentives to achieve improved business and environmental performance. We are looking forward to continuing this collaborative approach and knowledge transfer with our brand partners in other locations.”
Carbon Footprint Management
This pioneering program in Hong Kong demonstrates leadership in environmental innovation and efficiency initiatives to reduce direct environmental impact, featuring strategies and technologies that enhance stakeholder health and structural durability, while reducing waste and promoting sustainability:
- Energy efficiency
- Through the installation of Energy Star equipment and appliances, as well as extensive use of high efficiency LED lighting and daylight sensors, T Galleria operates with a 30% energy reduction compared to same-sized, standard new retail spaces.
- Efficient air-conditioning and fresh air/carbon dioxide-demand control systems reduce chilled water energy and utilize fan-powered energy during low demand periods.
- Installation of a detailed, real-time energy monitoring system provides energy usage data for the entire store.
- Approximately 50% of the project's construction waste was recycled to relieve waste disposal and landfill in Hong Kong
- The project incorporated 100% use of low-toxic, low-VOC paints, coatings, sealants, and adhesive materials
- Initiated a green cleaning program with environmentally safe cleaning products and materials for daily maintenance.
Established in 1960, DFS opened its first store at the Hong Kong International Airport, which catered to international travelers. The Group went on to successfully operate open three large downtown stores in Kowloon Hong Kong, providing seamless, traveler-focused luxury shopping experiences. Now, through the T Galleria Hysan Place’s LEED Gold certification.
DFS continues its tradition of exceptional retail practices, by setting new standards in luxury retail through sustainable initiatives.
- The T Galleria received 67 credits under the LEED assessment program, which is seven points above the required points for Gold status.
- Extensive use of high efficiency LED lighting, including LED spotlights, strips and light boxes were adopted to achieve 30-40% energy savings compared to typical stores and the LEED baseline.
- Project Team- Architect: PMDL Architecture & Design, MEP Engineers : CSA (M&E) Limited, LEED, Consultant: Cundall
Location of T Galleria
500 Hennessy Road
Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
Sunday to Thursday 10 am to 10 pm.
Friday, Saturday and the eve of Public Holidays 10 am to 11pm.